BBQ Smokers from Char-Broil
How do you smoke food with a smoker?
Smoking involves cooking or smoking food slowly and gently at temperatures of up to 130°C. Unlike grilling, the food being smoked is not placed directly over the embers or fire but instead surrounded by hot smoke in the cooking chamber. The hot smoke in the smoker is fed from the firebox into the cooking chamber through a connecting opening.
This procedure ensures that the smoked food is cooked evenly and gently and does not burn or dry out. Smoking additionally gives the food that typical smoky barbecue flavour. The most important aspect of smoking is keeping an eye on the temperature development and the maximum or minimum temperature. All smokers from Char-Broil are fitted with thermometers that allow even beginners to easily monitor the temperature. Experienced grilling experts know their smokers inside out and are able to maintain a constant temperature even without using a thermometer.
Of course, our range of products also features high-quality gas grills and charcoal grills.
Why should I choose a smoker grill from Char-Broil?
Our main advantage is our experience. Char-Broil launched its first cast iron grill back in 1948 – and started a revolution. Nowadays, Char-Broil grills are designed and developed by a core team in the USA with global support and boasting a total of more than 425 years of industry experience. Our Engineering department provides expertise in the fields of mechanical engineering, materials engineering, gas combustion and plastic and die casting design. When developing our grill products, our engineers use state-of-the-art software to spark a passion for barbecuing among people all over the world with our optimal heat transfer and ergonomic designs. On top of all this, we also guarantee top quality standards.
The Digital Smoker and the Big Easy - BBQ smokers using electricity and gas
Regardless of whether you prefer gas or electricity, Char-Broil has the ideal barbecue smoker for you.
1. Digital Smoker (electric)
The Digital Smoker is perfect for fans of gently smoked ribs, pulled pork and perfect brisket. This compact and digital high-tech smoker is the ideal device to accompany your grill. The Digital Smoker doesn’t take up much space but can nevertheless cook or smoke even large amounts of meat or fish at the same time on up to four stainless steel racks. Its patented smoking chamber guarantees even, safe and long-lasting smoking of your grilled delicacies for up to eight hours. The result: juicy and delicate barbecued food that is smoky or spicy.
The Digital Smoker from Char-Broil additionally offers the following features:
- Intuitive control panel with an LED display
- Four adjustable cooking grates made of rustproof stainless steel
- Removable grease tray for quicker and easier cleaning
- Real wood flavour by using wood chips or pellets in the front smoker box (available separately)
- Intelligent smoking by monitoring the overall and core temperatures
- Large stainless steel locking latch with a smoke-tight seal
2. THE Big Easy (gas)
The Big Easy is the ultimate all-rounder in the Char-Broil range. This gas grill can be used for smoking, cooking and barbecuing.
It offers you:
- TRU-Infrared cooking technology for grilled food that is up to 50% juicier
- 3-in-1 solution: smoke meat, roast chicken or grill steaks with no oil and no added fat
- Grill basket with adjustable handles offering space for up to 11kg of meat
- Four rib hooks and two chicken leg holders
- Meat thermometer
- Real wood flavour by using wood chips or pellets in the front smoker box (wood chips and pellets available separately)
The Kamander, Bullet Smoker and Oklahoma Joe's - Introducing our charcoal grill somkers:
1. Kamander (charcoal)
You can use the Kamander charcoal grill to smoke, bake and grill. It requires less than 1kg of charcoal and is therefore extremely efficient. It also features an innovative ventilation system that allows the temperature to be easily regulated for all types of food preparation.
The Kamander additionally offers you:
- Easily accessible ash pan for easy cleaning
- Lid-mounted thermometer for keeping track of the preheat status and monitoring the grate temperature of your grill
- Big wheels for easy mobility in the house or garden or on the balcony
2. Bullet Smoker (charcoal)
The Char-Broil Bullet Smoker is our traditional charcoal smoker. It features an easily accessible ash pan and a lid-mounted thermometer that allows you to optimally monitor the grill temperature.
The Bullet Smoker also stands out thanks to the following properties:
- Unique design for authentic smoking
- Robust steel construction with a moulded door
- Innovative five-stage air flow regulation
- Enamelled grates on two levels
- Elegant matte porcelain finish
3. Oklahoma Joe’s (charcoal)
The Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe’s Smoker is made of heavy-gauge steel and has an offset firebox for stoking the fire and a smokestack that regulates the distribution of heat and smoke. Cool-touch handles protect your hands from the heat.
The Oklahoma Joe’s Smoker also boasts the following impressive features:
- Convenient access door for easily adding wood
- Several vents for controlling heat and smoke
- Lid-mounted thermometer for easily monitoring the temperature
- Large shelves
- Big wheels for easily moving your BBQ smoker
What is the difference between hot smoking and cold smoking?
In hot smoking, the BBQ smoker reaches temperatures between 50 and 100°C. These allow foods with even a firm texture to be fully cooked within a few hours. The disadvantage of hot smoking is the loss of many nutrients and a shorter shelf life.
In cold smoking, the smoker grill reaches a temperature of up to 25°C, which significantly lengthens the smoking time. For ham or bacon, the cooking time may even last several weeks. An advantage of cold smoking is the fact that the low temperatures allow more nutrients to be preserved and even thicker cuts of meat or fish can be smoked without any problems.
What smoking accesories do I need?
Two products are an absolute must for smoking fans: a cast iron smoker box or a stainless steel smoker box and our wood chips mesquite, hickory and apple. These aromatic chips give your grilled delicacies an additional exquisite finishing touch. Mesquite has an earthy flavour and is particularly suitable for red meat and cheese, while hickory is sweet and the ideal match for beef, pork and game. Apple wood is excellent for poultry, beef, pork, game birds and seafood and gives the food a fruity flavour.
We also recommend that you purchase a grill cover to optimally protect your smoker whatever the weather. We offer special tailor-made grill covers for the Digital Smoker, The Big Easy, Kamander and Oklahoma Joe’s. For the Digital Smoker, we have also developed a stand that raises the smoker grill 40cm from the ground and provides you with easier access to your food.